This book, more than an insomnia, is a journey. The insomnia belongs to the one who wrote the book, the journey to the one that made it. Nevertheless, since it also happens to me to walk through the same places the main character walked through, I found an opportunity to provide a short index of those.
I’m not sure if I’m doing this for the illusion that this topographic catalogue, with the power of reality, could give light to this Nocture, in which i’m looking for a Shadow; or for the unreasonable lust that one day some lovers of incongruous paths could use it as a guide.
Antonio Tabucchi, Indian Nocture.
Along this line my journey to India begins.
Ten months of unbearable and flavourful life, marked by the traffic noises and the mantra sounds. A life immersed into the dioxin’s odour and masala’s scent. A continuous struggle between the external heat and the interior wintery. Totally wet at the beginning, totally dry at the end. I was certainly not ready for this life. I suffered. I faced it. And now, I remember it fondness. I regret it sometimes.
What I’m going to say is not what I really lived, or to be precise, how I really lived. In my memories those experiences became softer and milder. Now the calm impregnates my mind. The tranquillity to know that everything is now just the past. And is about this past that I want to talk about.
The ‘short index’ of places I have walked through (with the same A.T.’s desire, that ‘one day some lovers of incongruous paths could use it as a guide’):
- Parichay Hotel, 1199/1A, FC Road, Pune, Maharastra
- Duplex 14, Four Wings Society, Sindh Society, Aundh, Pune, Maharastra
- Mariam’s House, Sirur Park Road, Seshadripuram, Bangalore, Karnataka
- SRE Travels (Ananth Group) bus Bangalore-Hampi 8h45m
- Ahmedabad Ac Ex Train from Gadag to Pune, 10h55m
- Sea Shore Hotel, 4th fl, Kamal Mansion, Arthur Bunder Rd; Mumbai, Maharastra
- Mumbai CST-Chennai Mail/11027Train from Pune to Chennai, 24h40m
- Hotel Kurinchi, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- New Guest House, 64 Romain Rolland St, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu
- Mano Residency, 16 P.K. Salai, near New Bus Stand, Karaikal, Tamil Nadu
- Janne and Haha’s House, 632, HIG Anna Nagar, , 80 Feet Road, , Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Hotel Tri Sea, Kovalam Rd, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, Neyyar Dam P.O., Thiruvananthapuram Dist (Trivandrum), Kerala
- Jicky’s Room, Near Helipad, Kurakkanni, Varkala, Kerala
- Rose Wood Residency, H. No. 2 / 534, Poovath Abdul Kader Road, Near Gov. Hospital, Fort Kochin. Kerala
- Hotel Ess Gee’s 12 / 9, East Patel Nagar, Nuova Delhi
- Hotel Eritage, District Jhunjhunu (Shekhawati), Mandawa, Rajasthan
- Hotel Bhairon Vilas, Next to Junagarh Fort, Bikaner, Rajasthan
- Desert Moon, Near Sunset Point, Achalvansi Colony, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
- Devi Bhawan, Ratanada Circle, Defence Laboratory Road, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- Atithi Guest House, 1 Park House Scheme Opp All India Radio, M.I Road, Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Hotel Sheena, Eastern Gate Taj Mahal, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Povi’s Huts, Colamb bay, south end of Palolem Beach, Goa
- Hotel Taj Plaza, Near Hotel Amar Vilas, Shilp Gram VIP Road, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Hotel Pradeet, C 27/153, Jagatganj, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Nangaldam Kolkata Gurumukhi Express/12326Train from Varanasi to Kolkata, 14h
- Hotel Circular, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Rd, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Hotel Marine View, behind Marine Hall,near Phonix Bay jetty,Port Blair, South Andaman Island
- Cross Bill Beach Resort , Havelock No. 3, Havelock Island, Andaman Island